Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Birth of Vincent Charles LaSalata

OKAY, okay... now that our sweet boy is almost 8 weeks old, I have finally gotten time to sit down and update the blog!

On May 5, 2010, I walked into my 40 week appointment feeling tired, large, overdue, and well, large... I was hoping the Dr. would sweep the membranes and get some things moving for me, since at that point we were about 3 days past due. She swept the membranes and then took an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluids... only to find that they were lower than she'd like them to be and she felt we'd probably be smart to induce. Upon calling the hospital, she came back in the room and said- "can you go in right now?" This was truly music to my ears! WHOO HOO! I'm going to get this kid out of me! After getting David and the overnite bags, we were headed to Good Samaritan to meet our sweet baby boy! After getting settled into the room and filling out the paperwork, the nurse started the pitocin drip. Within 30 minutes I was having some extreme contractions. Within an hour, I was questioning my intent to go natural- "David- I need drugs!" Over the next (what seemed like forever) 20 minutes, David ran in and out of the room looking for the nurse, then racing back to me to assist my 1 min. apart contractions. When our nurse finally appeared with a sassy attitude "oh, and you thought you could go natural?", I was extremely uncomfortable. I wish I could've seen my face when she said- "OH! Honey, you're at a 9... there's no time for drugs!" The whole room turned upside down as all the nurses took action and I continued to work through the pain (with my amazing coach by my side). I started pushing before my Dr. even arrived, and within 30 min. I birthed my beautiful 8 lb 1 oz. 20 in. long baby boy! My 2 hr. 20 min. labor was quick and effective and I was left feeling excited, exhausted, and amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment